Cath Kidston: Coming Up Roses
Cath Kidston has been successfully trading as a business for 20 years.
During her talk at the V&A Cath Kidston spoke about her ideas and her career so far.
This Is Your Life
- Cath's first job was working as an antique fabric dealer, where she was introduced to vintage fabrics.
- Along with a friend, Cath started her first business, Mckinney Kidston, a curtain shop off the King's Road in 1987.
- With a start up budget of £15,000 Cath set up her first store near Holland Park and Notting Hill in 1993.
- The first print, Rose Bouquet, was inspired by a rose print wallpaper Cath had seen in Wales.
- Cath's shop originally sold second hand furniture and items that she had customised.
- Cath's dog Stanley is also part of the team and can often be seen in her collections. This is why dogs are welcome in her stores.
- Cath opened her first shop in Tokyo, Japan in 2006. It was a huge success and as a result nine more stores were opened.
- To date there are 59 Cath Kidston stores and concession stands in the UK and Ireland.
- There are a further 54 stores in Spain, Republic Of Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Hong Kong and China.
- Cath Kidston is related to Kirstie Allsopp.